Friday, July 15, 2011

Stir-Friday

I can't believe it's already the 15th of July! I keep doing double-takes at the calender. This means that my birthday is quickly approaching which just doesn't seem right. Seriously, where is this year going?!

I kicked off the weekend with a generous spoonful of peanut butter!



Then some super yummy chicken stir-fry (my inspiration) for dinner. Pei Wei ain't got nothin' on me! ;)




There's a special guest eyeing my dinner! - Hint: he's black & white

The third Friday of the month = Late Night at the Dallas Museum of Art! My parents and I are gonna put our memberships to good use!

I've got an update on my "life plans." After a talking with my mom about where I've been and where I'd like to go I feel a lot more "focused" on what I want to do. I have always felt called to help other people. Medical careers aren't the best fit for me, neither is counseling because I am too empathetic.I kind of want to be a full-time humanitarian aide worker/volunteer. My mom's bosses family (who we have been very close to for over 10 years) just got back from a mission trip in South Africa. They absolutely loved it! The spent their time visiting AIDS patients in hospitals/clinics and working in orphanages. I would do anything to be able to have an opportunity like that, to feel like I am making a real difference in someone's life!

Just got me thinking about what I want from life. To me, life is about giving back to others. I almost started crying while I was talking to my mom last night. Not because I was sad, but because just the thought of doing some sort of volunteer work similar to that, being surrounded with people in real need 24/7, filled my heat. I was overwhelmed with emotions. Maybe since it's something I've always been interested in but told myself "no" because that sort of work isn't necessarily "socially acceptable, cool, or profitable" and now I'm "allowing" my heart to be open to something I'm truly passionate about.

Last night and this morning opened my old folder of social work schools (MSW) I have saved on my computer and have started doing more research on their offerings. If I pursue social work I definitely want the opportunity to complete my field experience abroad (luckily there are several schools with this option - a few affiliated with the Peace Corps).

The world is full of so much joy and also so much pain. What really matters at the end of the day? We make sure our pantries are well stocked. We always need that "upgrade" and must "keep up with the Jones'." We live in envy by coveting what others, our friends and enemies have. We rate our days "good" or "bad" based on what we ate, how much we exercised, and how we fit into our skinny jeans. Yet there are men, women, and children starving, not being able to sleep because of hunger pains, residing in conditions we would not allow our pets to live in.


Stop and think about what matters to you.


OK, I'll get off my little soap box now. I realize that I am nowhere near perfect, but living a more service-oriented, self-less life is becoming a stronger focus in my life. I want to encourage others to be open to these ideas as well. We'll where this journey takes me!

Happy weekending to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment